SIERRA LEONE BROADCASTING CORPORATION-SLBC
Parliament of Sierra Leone in September,
2009 passed the “Sierra Leone
Broadcasting Corporation Act 2009”
thereby establishing the Sierra Leone
Broadcasting Corporation as the first
legally independent national broadcaster
in Sierra Leone charged with the
responsibility of providing information,
education, entertainment and above all
reflect all shades of opinion throughout
Part IV Subsections 13(1) and 14(1) respectively of the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Corporation Act 2009 have created (statutorily) the positions of Director General and Deputy Director General.
The Board of Trustees and the Transitional Management Team of the SLBC is seeking competent and suitable Sierra Leoneans (Domestic or in the Diaspora) to fill in these vacancies:
POSITION: DIRECTOR GENERAL (DG) SLBC
REPORTING TO: Board of Trustees
DURATION: 4 Years (renewable for one term only)
The Director General is in charge of implementing the mission and strategy of the Sierra Leone Broadcasting Corporation which is to deliver independent public service broadcasting to the people. The Director General shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the corporation and shall be responsible to the Board of Trustees for the day to day management of the corporation.
The Executive Office is the driving force of the Corporation’s activities. Apart from managing the day-to-day operations; it has to plan well ahead and be aware of the activities and initiatives undertaken by competitors as well as set priorities which must be constantly updated.
As an entity that leads the creative process, the Office must be acutely attuned to public needs and expectations. It must maintain and upgrade production standards, recruit the best talents, develop new programme formats, and strive to lead in a competitive environment.
Serve as the Chief Executive Officer responsible for all functions of the broadcaster including the preparation of the budget
Be the editor-in-chief with final authority over all programming matters in accordance with the Code of Practice as enacted by the IMC and the Code of Broadcasting Practice to be developed by SLBC in consultation with the Board of Trustees
Should Act in accordance with the SLBC Act 2009
the broadcaster on all legal issues as
well as forums
Manage all day-to-day operations of the
2. Deliver services in line with priorities and policies set by the Board of Trustees.
3. Develop a programming policy and schedule, produce and ensure the programmes produced by the Corporation satisfy the broadcaster’s public service remit.
4. Exercise full responsibility for programme content and editorial policy in line with legal and regulatory obligations.
5. Develop internal editorial guidelines according to the Code of Broadcasting Practice to assist journalists and programme-makers in complying with editorial requirements.
6. Prepare budgets and undertake robust financial and accounting measures and in a manner that engenders accountability and transparency.
7. Appoint and dismiss staff with the approval of the Board, manage all human resources matters in accordance to the Corporation’s administrative procedures.
8. Develop and implement internal working practices and procedures.
9. Provide reports and other pertinent information as requested by the Board of Trustees.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Candidates must be of recognized professional accomplishment and personal integrity.
At least ten or more years of experience in broadcast management;
Strong managerial skills and excellent leadership skills;
Good financial management and budgeting skills.
Good human resources management skills;
Strong communication and public relations skills
degree in media management or relevant
A Masters Degree in media management or related subjects would be desirable but not required
High level of personal integrity
Demonstrated leadership ability
Excellent communication skills: verbal and written
Accommodating of differences
Candidates must be between 35-60 years of age
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ALL APPLICATION IS: 22nd FEBRUARY, 2010
applications should be forwarded to:
SLBC TRANSITIONAL MANAGEMENT TEAM
C/O MINISTRY OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION
8TH FLOOR, YOUYI BUILDING